Sunday, December 20, 2009

I ran out of witty titles a few weeks ago

I've been sick a few times this semester, more often than in years past. Here's why.
I used to have this theory that if you're always a little bit sick, you never get really sick. You can snuffle through an entire semester and never miss class, and after a while you don't even really notice that you're sick. I lived this way from the middle of my junior year of high school til the end of first semester my junior year. It worked like a charm, I almost never was too ill to go to class.
Then Germany happened. I started eating healthy, walking up and down mountains, and sleeping 9-10 hours a night. I finally discovered the drawback to my brilliant plan. I really like being healthy.

This is fine, if you have time to be healthy, which I no longer do. After my first week of all-nighters I was screwed. I got sick and I couldn't get healthy again.

The other thing I've noticed, is that when a person is sick, they fantasize about being well, but when people are well, they don't take full advantage of their health. For instance, on an average unclogged day, most people don't walk around enjoying smells to the best of their ability. If something smells particularly good, they notice it and that's it. But when a person can't smell anything, all they can think about is how wonderful it would be to smell again.
Basically we take our health for granted, and instead of just dreaming of what we could do if we were healthy, we should start taking full advantage of our healthy while we have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment