Sunday, November 15, 2009

Triumph of the Will

A while ago in class we talked about whether we would have gone along with Hitler if we’d been Germans in the 1930’s. In class I think I was a little too idealistic, I hoped that I would be able to be wary of the dangers that Hitler’s ideas would unleash. Realistically I probably would have been carrying a spade at the RAD ceremony. I mean, besides the whole gay thing, I have the potential of being a poster boy for the Aryan nation. (Also I’m not anti-semitic which could prove to be a problem) But I’m tall, German, I have blonde hair, blue eyes.

It is really interesting to think about it, from the German point of view. At the time he was just a charismatic leader who could really work a crowd. I’d like to think that had they known what he was planning, the Germans wouldn’t have been so supportive, and would have tried to stop him. Of course there’s no way of knowing what they would have done.

So what I’m trying to say is that I most likely would have supported Hitler, in his time, if I had no idea what was coming next. Obviously now I don’t support him, but back then, I don’t think I would have had any way of knowing not to.

Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment