Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A brief look back.

I just went back and read all of my blog posts, starting from the beginning and working my way to present date.
Mostly I'm just kind of disappointed. I can see right when my life started getting hectic, which was when the posts started getting shorter and less fun to read. At the beginning of the class I had free time when I could really get to know the readings and the ideas we talked about in class. I think it can be seen in my blog, when I had fun writing them.
But as the semester has progressed, I've fallen right back into my old ways of burning the candle from both ends. This means I don't have as much time to really reflect on the class work enough to have insightful and fun posts that I can be proud of.

Things I would like to see happen:
1. I want to spend more time each week thinking about my posts.
2. I want to be able to tie my posts back to class material better.
3. I want to really make this blog mine, which would mean that I no longer look at it as an assignment.
4. I really really really wanna zig-a-zig-ah.
5. I know that we are writing for our audience with these blogs, but I think I've kind of lost my voice in trying to fit to what I think people expect from me.
6. I want to start having solid endings to my posts, because normally they just sort of trail off...

7 comments:

  1. Andrew,

    I am sure that many people feel the same way and for those who followed the prompt, they too came up with these observations. Did you maybe find that when you were having more "fun" with the audience, your relationship with the audience was more clearly define? The reason I ask that is because potentially when you dont feel like you are writing these forced blog assignments you are writing about things that you know more about and feel more comfortable sharing with the readers. It makes sense that when you were relating class exercise to theater you were having an easier time showing your personality and thus, having an easier time. Instead of think of making it easier on you, what if you thought about making the blogs less of an assignment and more of an experiment and continually sharing more information about yourself with the class. (That could solve the length problem as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was from Gilad

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said you wanted to the blog to be more like you? who were you writing for and why that particular audience?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite impressed by your decisions to make your blogs better for yourself. But my advice, possibly contrary to the assignment, is to write for yourself. Personally, my blog audience can be anybody who is willing to read my blog. If you read my entries, my paragraphs sometimes have little to no relevance to the class. Even though my grade has suffered (greatly), I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew,

    I like the way you've "called yourself out" on not putting in as much effort to your blogs as you did in the beginning. I find myself in a similar situation, not only with blogs but with many of the things I do when I'm too busy. It's interesting the way our schedules or workloads can influence our identities- maybe a little bit of Gergen's "Saturated Self" is coming into play? Sometimes it is hard to escape or force ourselves to "take a break" in order to reconnect with what we are really feeling and decide what is important. Balancing the many things we do is difficult, but I'm glad you can see where you are lacking and trying to make up for this!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew,
    I understand what you mean by your blogs not being at your best. I find myself in the same situation. I love finding articles from CNN and writing about how someone's identity is changed in everyday circumstances, but sometimes when work gets hectic I don't find time to be as creative.

    I also thinks it's hard to relate everything back to class and sometimes I just want to write a blog out of topic to you guys as my audience because I want your input. I also feel like when I read some blogs they are becoming too invoked in our class work that they are less fun to read and it is hard to comment on them. In any case, I am very proud of your initiative to change your ways!

    Areej

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have nothing of substance to say other than #4 is awesome. hahahah also check out the shout out to you in my most recent blog. PS. any suggestions on how to become so blog-comment popular?

    ReplyDelete