Thursday, September 10, 2009

Introductions

So. This is the introductory post for my new blog, a chance to explain what this is, who I am, and most importantly, why you should read this.
The first question is, of course, easy to answer; it is a requirement for my English class. It is to be an insight into my thoughts and views on rhetoric as well as various factors, characteristics and components of what is known as "identity". It should be pretty interesting.
The second question is a little more complex. Am I who you see me as? Am I who I see me as? Am I some hodgepodge mixture of both? In which case, how could anyone, including myself, know who I really am? I could no sooner tell who you see me as, than assume to have you fully understand who I see me as.
Well, this is getting rambly.
So I think I'll take the easy route and tell you what I do.
I'm a senior at the University of Michigan, studying theatrical costume design with a minor in Germanic Studies. I grew up in Ann Arbor and am proud of being a townie. In my rare free time, I can almost always be found doing some sort of handcraft (knitting, sewing, beading and wire-work) while watching some sort of television show on DVD. I am a vegetarian of eight years for social, political and health reasons. I am openly gay and extremely interested in gender identity studies. I spent six and a half months in Germany, studying and traveling, and could easily picture myself moving there someday.
For the final question of why you should read this blog, there are many reasons, with two standing out above the rest. The first being that you are also in my English class, in which case you were probably assigned to. The second is if you are interested in my perspective or enjoy my narrative voice.

That about covers it for now. Tune in at the end of each week to follow what will surely be an interesting journey into identity.
Tschüssi!

1 comment:

  1. Great to be getting to know you, Andrew. You have narrowed in on some of the key theoretical margins of this identity stuff! Where is 'it'? Are we who we think we are, who we tell ourselves to be, who we were, who we aspire to be, who other people see us to be-- and which people? I hope you explore some of the great work on gender identity as we progress in class. I can recommend some reading if you want.

    ReplyDelete